Friday, May 28, 2010

A visit with the past

Ed had to go into work this afternoon and again I took off in the car.  This time my mission was to visit Valley View Cemetery.  My parents were married in the chapel at the cemetery. That may seem weird to some people but this is a lovely old stone church high on a hill that overlooks the cemetery.
Valley View Cemetary 002
I then went across the street to the cemetery itself.  Here is where my mothers parents are buried along with her younger brother who died much too young.  I made my way around paying my respects to those relatives who have gone before us.   I then went down the hill to a small creek that runs behind the cemetery.  This was the place where my parents wanted their ashes spread.  My brother and I did this several years ago, and whenever I am in the area I return to this peaceful spot. 
Valley View Cemetary 024                                                                                  Valley View Cemetary 026Valley View Cemetary 023                                              
On this Memorial Day weekend please take a moment to remember those servicemen and women who have sacrificed there lives for the freedoms we enjoy. 

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful church. I can see why they were married there. My Dad was a WWII vet and Memorial Day was always special to him. I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm off to do the same thing this weekend. Glad you could "sneak" away again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and serene pictures! I think of you guys often and hope you are having a good summer and not working too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love visiting that chapel! The kids were disappointed when we didn't stop there this last visit - although we did go to the cemetery across the street to see Grandma and Grandpa's graves - and, of course, Uncle Dick. I didn't realize that you had already sprinkled Aunt Priscilla and Uncle Doug's ashes. I knew they wanted to be there, but I thought they were going to be laid to rest at the Veterans' Cemetery with Dad and Vernon. The things I learn reading your blog!!! :o)

    I also didn't realize your parents were married at the stone chapel. It will make future visits to it even more special knowing that. It is so incredibly beautiful there. Love it.

    ReplyDelete