Thursday, October 13, 2011

Back to work

Working at Amazon is a great way to make some money in a short period of time, but it really is exhausting especially when you are not used to this kind of work.  They give us a couple of weeks working 5 hours a day.  This is what they call ‘hardening’ . And boy do we need this.  Right now even the 5 hours is tiring.

Ed and I both work in the inbound department in receiving.  We scan items (asins) into the inventory and put these items on juice carts (three tiered carts). These carts are then taken away and the items put (stowed) on shelves (bins).  Amazon has their own language.  The outbound department called pickers then go to those bins to pick what you ordered and send it to the shipping department to be boxed and mailed. 

We are to be at “stand up” ready to work at 6am. Stand up is an area that all workers meet in the morning and after lunch for announcements and to do some brief stretching. We have our 1st 15 minute break at 8:30am, but it can take you 2.5 minutes to walk one way to the break room, as this is a huge facility  ….. 1.25 million square feet.

When we start working a full 10 hours we will get lunch at 10:30.   We will get an afternoon break but  not sure what time that will be.

Our commute is very short. We can see the Amazon warehouse from our motorhome.  If the weather is nice we can walk and it takes about 7 minutes.  If the weather is bad, we drive and it still takes us about 5 minutes!!  

Place those orders now everyone!!!   We need the work!!!

6 comments:

  1. Be extra nice when you see my name go by!! lol I love Amazon. Spent a fortune with them this summer. Now it's Christmas. Holy cow. I wouldn't make it the five hours let along 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're exhausted just thinking 10 hours a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already fell the pain. Remember all work and no play isn't good for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I grit my teeth I might be able to do five minutes. I don't know how you guys do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW... I like the new look. Very clean looking...good job!
    I feel for you two...my back is hurting thinking of standing all that time. Please take care of yourselves!
    I'll see what I can do to help your job situation...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We never got that hardening stuff. 10 hours from the get go. Not sure what genius figured out the times but we start at 6, have 1st break at 9:30, lunch at 12:30, and last break at 3. Of course we get off at 4:30. We are in stowing. I kind of like it, at least for 12 weeks any. Maybe we will cross paths again.
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete