Monday, August 15, 2011

Riding the ferry to Vermont

Tuesday was our day off and we took Kim, Mark and Savannah over to Vermont.  We rode the ferry across from Crown Point, NY over to Chimney Rock, Vermont.  This is a free ferry ride because they had to tear down the bridge and are rebuilding it.  Several (lots) of years ago we had a family reunion at the state campground there.

IMG_3433           IMG_3431
IMG_3428

Even on the short trip we were able to get out of the car to take these pictures.        








IMG_3453We went to Burlington, Vermont and I was able to find the house I lived in many years ago.   115 Home Ave.  
 
       
The streets sure seemed a lot smaller than I remembered.  We then turned and went down the hill to the elementary school. (It sure seemed a lot steeper when I was a kid) I was really surprised to see that the building was still there although it is now an apt building.
IMG_3451The building looked larger than I remembered.  There was only one classroom for each grade.  
I went to this school for the last part of 5th grade and all of 6th grade.  These classrooms were on the second floor.  I remember sitting in the hallway watching the television when astronaut Alan Sheppard took his flight into space!!  Oh boy what memories!!! 

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything will look smaller now that you two are worldly travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to go back and find childhood homes and schools. Maybe I'll do that some year and see how big or small mine are now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, you gave me an idea for a blog. They are pretty hard to come up with when we are sitting still. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete