Friday, August 28, 2009

Wild Ride!

We left Big Stone Gap, Virginia on Tuesday morning moving toward South Hill, Virginia. We knew we weren't going to make the trip in one day so we just took our time. We came through the mountains and onto interstate highway 81. We then took interstate highway 77. Our goal was to end up on highway 58, which runs along the border of North Carolina.
The last 50 miles of our journey that day were some of the scariest I can remember. This narrow two lane road started winding up and around over the mountain. We are always seeing signs for deer crossings, and in Washington we were seeing elk crossing signs. Here was the first time I had ever seen a bear crossing sign!!
The summit of this road was where the Blue Ridge Parkway intersects with highway 58. We then started down....
There were times when there was a 9% grade going down. We had our exhaust brake on, of course, which helped somewhat. However, when going down this steep grade and having to make some sharp curves, well... I just about put my foot through the dash, I was braking so hard!!
We finally came to the town of Stuart, Virginia where we spent the night at a Walmart.
Thankfully, the next 130 miles of our journey were better with 4 lane divided highway most of the way. We arrived at our destination, North Bend Corps of Engineer park. There is a nice lake and Ed will do some fishing here. Our motorhome is sitting almost in the road so that we can get our satelite TV. (Really have to look into getting a portable dish)
While here I will take some pictures and get them posted. We are not going to be doing much except relaxing so I may not be blogging much.

2 comments:

  1. ksyndan@blogspot.com8/28/09, 4:25 PM

    Oh I sypathize! I have almost given up on 2 lanes! Some scare factor at every turn! You're really brave up in the mountains,I haven't been beyond a 6% grade. My nerves won't take much more than that I fear! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, I know you may have been applying all the brakes but you weren't the one driving!! Believe me -- I understand! Where's your East Mountain book? We've done 6-7% with a rig and ended up on a 16% once without a rig .... thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete