Friday, June 19, 2009

Truman Library

Today we went to The Truman Library.



We went around with a tour guide and spent about 3 hours in the library. I knew a few things about President Truman. I knew he had ended the war in Japan by dropping the atomic bomb. I knew he was famous for his "the buck stops here" saying. I knew he was President at the beginning of the Korean War.

Many things I did not know. I thought he was President Roosevelt's vice president for all his terms. He was not. He was only elected vice president for Roosevelt's 4th term. He was only the VP for about 80 days when Roosevelt died and he then became President. I didn't know he worked to create NATO and the CIA. I didn't know he was the person to desegregate the armed services. If you want to know more about President Truman see this web site: http://www.trumanlibrary.org/hst-bio.htm















He came back to Independence after his presidency. He and Bess lived in this house which is just about 2 miles from the library. President Truman had a working office in the library and walked there just about every day.




We have really enjoyed our few days here in Independence. We leave here tomorrow and head into Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment